The Universal Audio UAFX Astra Modulation Machine is part of the 3-pedal series launching the pro audio company into the stompbox-sphere. Renowned for pro audio peripherals but also for high-quality DSP-powered plugins emulating vintage studio gear, the American company used that experience to craft these dual-processor stompboxes that simulate classic analog effects.
The Astra is a Stereo, digital, 3-mode (plus 1) multi-modulation pedal with 2 variations for each mode (A/B toggle), preset capability, and six knobs controlling Speed, Depth, Intensity, Shape, Shape and Mode.
The pedal focuses on the most common modulation effects (Chorus, Vibrato, Flanger, Phaser and Tremolo), without venturing in weirder niches like ring modulation or autowah. Here’s a list of the modes:
- Chorus Brigade: Classic ‘70s analog bucket brigade chorus with an additional Vibrato mode
- Flanger/DBLR: Studio flanger/doubler tones modeled after legendary rack effects units
- Trem 65: Opto tube-style tremolo derived from blackface amps of the mid-1960s
- 2 Bonus Effects: Free simulation of the Phaser X90 and Dharma Trem 61, downloadable at registration
The pedal seems to have just one input and one output but can be configured in stereo/dual mono operation – we assume – through a single stereo out.
Check out the videos of UAFX Astra, we added it to our article about the best multi-modulation pedals!
Universal Audio UAFX Astra Modulation Machine
Engineered and developed by the acclaimed team at Universal Audio, the Universal Audio UAFX Astra Modulation Machine boasts powerful dual-processor architecture for the most sonically authentic classic Chorus, Vibrato, Flanger, and Tremolo effects ever available in a stompbox.
From spacey studio flanger tones of the 1970s, to gritty bucket-brigade chorus and luscious opto tube tremolo, Astra Modulation Machine puts three iconic vintage effects at your feet, in a beautifully-crafted pedal that’s built to last decades.
THREE TIMELESS MODULATION EFFECTS:
- Chorus Brigade: Classic ‘70s analog bucket brigade chorus with additional Vibrato mode
- Flanger/DBLR: Studio flanger/doubler tones modeling legendary rack effects units
- Trem 65: Perfectly-emulated opto tube tremolo derived from iconic blackface amps of the mid-1960s
- Bonus Effects: Free Phaser X90 and Dharma Trem 61, downloadable at registration
- Flagship modulation pedal with powerful dual-processor UAFX engine
- Three timeless modulation effects, with secondary modes and settings
- Simple Live/Preset modes for instant recall of your favorite sound
- Additional downloadable effects by the world-renowned UAD algorithm team
- True or buffered bypass, silent switching
- Classic UA analog design and craftsmanship, built to last decades