The Rainger FX Echo X v2 is David Rainger’s take on the mini-echo format, and those familiar with this London-based pedal designer know there are sonic surprises to be expected inside this little device.
In this effect offering up to 540ms of delay time, you get the “normal” controls found on any echo pedal aligned to the right of the case, with the caveats that the INPT knob will allow you to overload the input stage for some distortion, while the Feedback knob will easily get you into self-oscillation – because Rainger FX doesn’t really like subtle effects.
However, the even more fun and unusual part of the circuit is found in the Gate button and the two Igor*-related buttons on the front of the case.
*For the unaware, Igor is a pressure pad that comes with Echo X and that’s compatible with most Rainger FX pedals, allowing continuous control of specific parameters.
In this case, the two aforementioned buttons can do the following:
- When the left button is engaged, the guitar’s signal will be sent through the echo’s circuit only when Igor is pressed – the harder is pressed, the louder the signal.
- When the right button is on, on the other hand, the Igor will control the echo’s rate or feedback.
The Gated delay is a quirky feature because it allows for a rather unusual effect, playing the delay only when the guitar is active. Unique but probably not everyone’s cup of tea.
Overall this is another cool creative pedal by Rainger FX, one that experimental and psych-leaning guitarist will love. Which is why we added it to our article about the best crazy, cool and weird delay pedals.
Rainger FX Echo X v2, Builder’s Notes
The Echo-X is a digital delay mini-pedal which offers unprecedented real-time control over crucial parameters, and now comes with a ‘gate’ switch option – giving the world’s first gated echo effect!
Situated on the main top panel, with the ‘gate’ pushbutton pressed, when you stop playing, all echo repeats are cut. This gives some great rhythmical delay effects, and self-oscillating repeats chopped into edgy silence.
Start playing again and the gate opens – with the brand new signal oscillating.
It comes with an Igor pressure pad controller which can adjust delay speed, amount of feedback, or work as a ‘send’ control; while your sound is dry, as you press on Igor, the signal is diverted through the pedal’s circuitry. When you release Igor you carry on playing dry while the diverted notes echo away on their own… An incredibly useful and expressive feature for everyday use!
The Echo-X has 540ms of delay time available, and has level, rate, feedback, input, and volume controls. ‘LVL’ goes from no echo, to slightly louder than the input signal. ‘FBK’ meanwhile goes from a single repeat to runaway overloading feedback oscillation.
‘INPT’ governs the input signal, and if this is too loud the red ‘overload’ LED comes on and it needs to be turned down if you want to avoid the clean signal distorting (which won’t damage the pedal). The volume knob however can push the volume back up.
The Echo-X is housed in a Rainger FX mini-pedal enclosure, with all sockets mounted on the top end panel. The Igor mode switches are on the bottom end panel.
Getting its name from a previous incarnation as the Dr Freakenstein Fuzz accessory, Igor – a small, light, pressure-sensitive pad – is dual-sensitivity and works by foot or by hand. It plugs into a mini-jack socket in the top end panel.
- DELAY SPEED AND FEEDBACK AMOUNT CONTROLLED BY IGOR FOOT CONTROLLER (SUPPLIED)
- OSCILLATES GREAT AT EXTREME SETTINGS
- DOES ECHO-SWOOP EFFECTS IN REAL-TIME WHILE YOU’RE PLAYING
- NEW LEVELS OF EXPLODING FEEDBACK FOR OVERDRIVEN GUITAR SOUNDS!
- 540MS OF DELAY TIME
- EFFECTS ‘SEND’ ALLOWS SOUNDS TO ECHO AWAY WHILE YOU CARRY ON PLAYING DRY
- INPUT CONTROL AND INDICATOR FOR OPTIMUM SIGNAL-TO-NOISE
- MAKES DUB-LIKE ‘ACCENTS’ AND CRESCENDOS, ELECTRO CHOPS!
- DEEPLY COOL RAINGER FX MINI-PEDAL STEEL ENCLOSURE
- NO SIDE SOCKETS AT ALL – THEY’RE ALL TOP END-MOUNTED! (NO – REALLY!)