Presented at NAMM 2020, Delay Llama Xtreme is the latest addition to JAM’s popular series. It emulates tape machine wildness but also paves new ground.
Three 3205 BBD chips deliver up to 800ms of classic delay tone, adjustable through an intuitive layout of three knobs (Time, Release and Level), three toggles (Trails, Kill Dry and Subdivisions), and three footswitches (On, Preset/Momentary and Tap Tempo).
The pedal features Four “Xtreme Modes” consisting of different extra effects (Vibrato, Tape-age, Random and Pitch-Shift) affecting the trails. These can be can be turned on by pressing the middle footswitch for a prolonged time, here’s a list directly from the manual:
1. Vibrato (1 LED): sine-wave LFO modulation w/
controls for Depth (ALT + R) and Speed (ALT+L)
2. Tape-age (2 LEDs): this mode emulates the slight
and random pitch variations (warble) a physical
“worn-down” tape would produce in vintage tapeecho
machines, w/ control for frequency (clockwise
for more) of deviation occurrences (ALT+L)
3. Random (3 LEDs): this mode randomly changes the
ms value of the repeats over fixed time increments
(set by the T knob or tap tempo) resulting in abrupt
pitch and rhythmic changes
4. Pitch-shift (4 LEDs): this mode will give you 5 distinct pitch-shifted intervals:
• 8ve ?/ 8ve ?: ALT + R1
• 2nd ?/ 2nd ?: ALT + R2
• 4th ?/ 5th ?: ALT + R3
• 5th ?/ 4th ?: ALT + R4
• 9th ?/ 7th ?: ALT + R5
and 5 playback patterns the last of which
is a 5-mode sequencer
• pattern 1: ALT + L1
• pattern 1: ALT + L2
• pattern 1: ALT + L3
• pattern 1: ALT + L4
• sequencer: ALT + L5
(5 sequences selected by ALT+R1-R5)
Pressing the black Alt Button at the bottom of the pedal allows control of these effects’ parameters – see picture above.
With the Jam Delay Llama Xtreme you can use CV Input and internal trim pots to adjust key parameters round up the features of what looks like a truly inspiring analog delay.
JAM Delay Llama Xtreme, Builder’s Notes
The Delay Llama XTREME introduces new functionality and exciting features to our Delay Llama series, challenging preconceived notions of what an analog delay pedal can do. Featuring 3 x 3205 BBD chips and a thoughtful layout, the Delay Llama XTREME appeals to traditional delay users and sound explorers alike.
It comes equipped with 4 presets, 800ms of max. delay time, tap tempo w/ subdivisions, holdfunction, kill-dry, trails (buffered) OR true bypass modes, delay time expression pedal / CV input, remote tap tempo input and remote preset selection input. It also features 4 trail effects you can get lost in for hours on end!
These 4 XTREME modes are the result of us experimenting with the Delay Time and musically taming it to create inspiring trails effects.
- Vibrato: sine-wave LFO modulation w/ controls for Depth and Speed
- Tape-age: this mode emulates the slight and random pitch variations (warble) a physical “worn-down” tape would produce in vintage tape-echo machines, w/ control for frequency of deviation occurrences
- Random: this mode randomly changes the ms value of the repeats over fixed time increments resulting in abrupt pitch and rhythmic changes
- Pitch-shift: this mode will give you 5 distinct pitch-shifted intervals and 5 playback patterns the last of which is a 5-mode sequencer
We sent the Delay Llama to the future and it finally made its way back with a taste for the XTREME! So strap in, get comfortable and ride this Llama into uncharted sonic fields.