The Tape Audio Co. TWO is the second release from this small boutique builder whose first pedal, the ONE fuzz, turned heads and ears earlier in 2022.
TWO is an original distortion circuit driven by two distortion/gain circuits blending a combination Germanium (pre stage) and Silicon (gain stage) transistors. A Master level controls the overall output, while internal trim pots and set bias and clipping diode level on the Germanium section of the circuit
The result is a dynamic dirt box that can cover a lot of ground sonically, from gritty crunch to to full distortion to borderline fuzz tones.
Have a listen to it in the videos below.
Tape Audio Co. TWO, Builder’s Notes
TWO is the second product offering from Tape Audio Co. At its heart is a unique and novel set of transistor distortion/gain circuits providing the best of both worlds: one Silicon, one Germanium. We used simple, discrete transistor gain topology in both sections to achieve a dynamic, special, and interesting drive pedal that covers a lot of ground. You can do light coloring of your tone, medium grit and bite, and searing distortion bordering on fuzz. The EQ is balanced, so despite having no tone controls, you’ll find yourself focusing on the level of the three gain-based controls to dial in your sound. Demonstration videos from Demos In The Dark, Collector//Emitter, Megan Lippi, NoiseGenerator, and William John Bennett III coming 5/13/2022. Demonstration from Andy Martin coming in June.
• High quality 9v, regulated and filtered DC power supply required (2.1mm tip, center negative)
• Pre controls the Germanium circuit output going into the Silicon circuit
• Gain controls the color and character of the Silicon circuit
• Master controls overall volume
• NOS Carbon Comp resistors
• NOS Philips, Sprague, GE capacitors (or similar)
• NOS Germanium transistor
• Switchcraft and Lumberg jacks
• NOS Germanium diodes
• Solid machined aluminum knobs
• Internal trim pots for bias and clipping diode level on Germanium section of the circuit