Although it’s white and made in peaceful Canada, the REVV Northern Mauler is a pedal for guitarists who are after the “Swedish Chainsaw” tone pioneered by metal acts with vicious names like Entombed, Dismember, Repugnant, Bloodbath, and Fuming Mouth, just to mention a few.
Designed in collaboration with (also) Canadian guitarists Glenn Fricker, involved with similarly gnarly ’90s bands Chaos and Dark Matter, the Norhern Mauler is a dual circuit gain pedal featuring an Amp (which is actually just an amp-voiced circuit, not a real power amp) and a Chainsaw circuit, the part of the pedal that adds that sought after sonic character and inspired by the BOSS HM-2.
The three top knobs on the right control the tone of the amp section and feature a traditional 3-way EQ, while the Bite and Growl knobs on the left fine-tune the quality of the chainsaw sound, controlling respectively the circuit’s treble and bass response.
The Blend control allows 100% Amp Circuit, 100% Chainsaw Circuit, or anything in between, while the Giv’r knob adjusts gain/saturation of both circuits at once.
Check out the videos below and – if you like this kind of effects – check out our metal distortion pedals category.
[Wanna get this baby and be supportive? Buy it through our Sweetwater affiliate programs – at no extra cost.]
REVV Northern Mauler, Builder’s Notes
Glenn Fricker is one of Revv’s earliest supporters & a lifelong opponent of stale, sterile guitar tone. Together, we set out to combine Revv’s trademark high gain tones with a sound inspired by the legendary HM-2*.
The Swedish chainsaw is the grimy, chaotic sound of metal’s most aggressive genres, but you can also mix it into your traditional high gain tone to add cut, character, & make your sound memorable.
One half of the Northern Mauler is a custom-tuned Revv high gain amp tone, & the other is our homage to the HM-2*. The blend knob gives you total control from 100% Amp Circuit, to 100% Chainsaw Circuit, & everything inbetween. Use a blend of the tones to transform your clean channel into a metal monster, boost your high gain amp with the Chainsaw Circuit, plug directly into a power amp, or use it with your recording interface & impulse responses.
Proudly Canadian, the Northern Mauler features a custom bear graphic, Glenn’s signature, & is designed to make it easy to inject some mayhem back into your metal.
“I’ve been wanting to mix the Swedish Chainsaw into modern metal tones for quite a while now. So I reached out to the guys at Revv, & after many months & many revisions, we’ve come up with The Northern Mauler. This combines the best of Revv’s wonderful super-tight metal tones with the out-of-control nastiness of the Chainsaw… & the results are better than I could have hoped for! We even kept the labeling simple so even the bass players could use it!” -Glenn Fricker, Spectre Media Group
REVV NORTHERN MAULER FEATURES
- 2-in-1 distortion featuring Revv’s take on the legendary HM-2* & an all-new high gain amp-voiced circuit
- Revv’s newest Signature Series pedal partners with fellow Canadian, Revv early-adopter, & metal engineer Glenn Fricker
- Inspired by the iconic chainsaw sound of Swedish death metal & American hardcore. A filthy, over-the-top, unforgettable sonic assault not for the faint of heart
- Featuring a punchy new voice of Revv high gain amp tone custom-tuned for Glenn
- “Bite” & “Growl” control the Chainsaw Circuit’s treble & bass response
- Treble, Mids, & Bass controls for the Amp Circuit.
- Blend control allows 100% Amp Circuit, 100% Chainsaw Circuit, or anything in between with a single volume knob controlling the Northern Mauler’s master output
- Giv’r adjusts gain/saturation of both circuits simultaneously, & master Volume adjusts global output.
- Optimized for use with clean amps, high gain amps, power amps, & direct to interface with impulse responses
- All-analog true bypass design powered by 9v 20mA (center negative external supply only)
- Compact double enclosure w/ top jacks
- Gloss white finish w/ custom bear graphic & Glenn Fricker signature
- L- 4.275”, W- 4.375”, H- 2”, 0.7lbs
- Made in Canada
- 2 year limited warranty upon registration
- Manual, velvet bag, sticker, & more included in box