What’s peculiar about this circuit is that it lets you change the length of the small delay that’s at the basis of the chorus effect through the Time knob, while most other chorus pedals keep that value fixed. And since that delay value has changed over the years with the pedal designers’ taste (tighter in the ’70s, longer in the ’80s), the ACV-1 allows the player a palette of chorus tones that can also verge on flanger at even tighter delay times, or slapback at longer ones.
While the Feedback knob is found on many chorus pedals, its interaction with the Phase toggle allows for an extra palette of tones, from metallic to vocal sounds, or even resonant ones at high feedback settings.
The LFO section, with the Rate and Amount knobs can deliver 3 LFO Shapes (triangle, sine and square) and has a huge speed range (the LFO can be bypassed at zero for comb filtering and stating delays.
The Tone control changes the frequency of the feedback loop, delivering more shimmery darker tones, while the Mix knob reintegrates the clean signal to taste. Unlike many similar pedals, this one doesn’t have a Chorus/Vibrato switch but can deliver the latter by keeping the Mix settings at zero and LFO set at Sine.
The ACV-1 also features a CV jack for compatibility with synths and Eurorack modules, while a 4 position rotary switch lets you control the Time, Feedback, Rate or Amount with an external expression pedal.
We added the Asheville Music Tools ACV-1 to our article about the best chorus pedals.
Asheville Music Tools ACV-1, Builder’s Notes
100% Analog BBD based Chorus Vibrato pedal
Available for order 9/29/2022 12:00 PM EST and from your favorite local dealers.
Come back here then for videos and more from your favorite demo artists.
Due to the expected high initial order volume please allow 1-3 weeks for the first ACV-1 orders to ship.
The Analoger™ Series ACV-1 chorus/vibrato/slapback is the latest creation in our series of 100% analog effects. The ACV-1 consists of a modulated BBD delay line with a flexible supporting cast of synthesizer-inspired controls. On the surface, the ACV-1 is simply a highly tweakable classic chorus. In reality, it is a veritable powerhouse of time warping modulation effects: shimmering comb filter swirls, luscious true pitch vibrato, glitchy textures, ringing metallic pipe tones, and even a faux reverb.
This astounding analog modulator was engineered by Hawker to deliver the ultimate time warping experience. With a bit of a mind flip, you’ll be into the time slip—and nothing will ever be the same!
What makes the ACV-1 special?
At the heart of every chorus is a short delay whose time is modulated by a low frequency oscillator (LFO). The ACV-1 uses a 1024-stage X-Vive™ high-voltage MN3007 BBD chip for its delay line. Mixing that delay back in with the original signal produces the familiar, lush sound of chorused voices in unison.
Many choruses keep the delay time fixed, but our Time knob lets you warp through the decades of chorus. Start in the middle for a tight 70’s-style chorus. Go longer for a drippy 80’s chorus and a warm slap delay, or go shorter for flanging tones.
Another uncommon addition is our Feedback knob with phase options. This lets you deepen the chorus effect and explore more exotic metallic or vocal sounds. At high feedback settings you can use the Time knob to dial in peaks and notches for resonant sounds, like a pipe or a bell. The Tone control changes the frequency response of the feedback loop to make your chorus more shimmery, or more dark and haunting. Utilizing the phase switch you can produce hollow, deep vocal sounds akin to a talk box.
Our LFO includes multiple waveforms: triangle for classic chorus sounds, sine for gooey vibrato, and square wave for rhythmic glitches and pitch jumps. The Rate and Amount controls have a huge range from subtle dimension to complete time warping madness. Or you can zero out the LFO to explore double-tracking effects, static comb filtering, and short delay.
The Mix control has a range from fully off to 100% wet, which lets you dial in subtle sounds or go all-in for true analog pitch vibrato. These settings are great for Leslie organ sounds or tape-like warble. The Tone control is even more useful here, as a way to sculpt the overall tone of your wet signal.
Finally, the CV jack rewards more intrepid sonic explorers with an even wider range of control. Increase the feedback into self-oscillation, push the LFO beyond its limit to audio rates, or drop the delay time into a lo-fi, ring-modulated soundscape.
With its thoroughly engineered set of features, the ACV-1 synthesizes decades of time warping modulation effects to inspire a whole new dimension of sounds.
- Type: 100% Analog signal and control path
- Bypass Footswitch: effect on/off user selectable True Bypass or JFET Buffered (Accessible by removing ACV-1 Cover)
- Power: 9VDC @ <150ma. 70-90ma typical. up to 250ma start up. standard pedal center negative 2.1mm x 5.5mm barrel.
- Delay Time: 3.1ms – 59ms. 1.9ms – 95ms with LFO and to 155ms with external CV
- Feedback: 0 to near infinite. Capable of self-oscillation using tone or EXP/CV input coupled with knob position.
- Rate: LFO RATE, from 0.1Hz to 14Hz (28Hz with CV control)
- Amount: LFO depth control from OFF to 60% of TIME sweep
- Mix: Center 50%. Adjust from full wet to full dry
- Tone: ~740Hz center tilt filter. Center = Flat to 0.3dB
- High +5dB to -10dB, Low +4dB to -7dB.
- Phase Switch: 180° phase shift of wet signal and feedback signal.
- LFO: Selectable Triangle, Sine or slewed Square wave
- Expression Switch: 4 position rotary selects Time, Feedback, Rate or Amount external control. All controls are additive to the front panel knob adding extended range. TRS jack usable with CV or Expression pedal, (CV range is 0-5V). Ring supplied current limited 5V output. Control input on Tip.
- Input impedance: >1M?
- Output impedance: 1K? Max (5k max for buffered bypass)
- Max input level: +14.25dBµ (4.0V RMS)
- Max output level: +14dBµ (3.9V RMS)
- Noise Reduction: 2:1 broadband with 10dB HF emphasis150ma.>
Genuine Hammond™ die-cast aluminum enclosure,
Dimensions: D=4.95” (12.5 cm), W=3.75” (9.4 cm), H=2.25” (5.8 cm)
Weight: 15oz (425g)
Note: All specifications subject to change at the whim of our overloads.