The Warm Audio ODD Box is a stompbox based on the Fulltone OCD overdrive, the most successful pedal design by Michael Fuller, a controversial, recently retired builder known – among other things – for not taking kindly news about his circuits getting cloned.
The original OCD, now out of production and increasing in price on the used market, is a hard clipping, op-amp-based drive with 20db of gain on tap delivering the articulation, dynamics, and breakup of a tube amp featuring a two voices toggle for brighter and darker tones and a Tone knob for extra coloring.
Armed with a TLO82CP Op-Amp, 2N7000 Transistors, & Hand-Selected Capacitors & Resistors, the Warm Audio ODD Box offers an almost identical layout and sound, with the exception of the toggle switch, which is renamed UK/US. with the latter sounding less aggressive gain-wise and darker than the former.
Warm Audio ODD Box, Builder’s Notes
The Warm Audio ODD (Over Drive Disorder) is inspired by an iconic pedalboard staple with a “cranked amp” tone.
Perfect for boosting, adding breakup, or adding high gain to cleans, the ODD has all the tonal versatility of its inspiration. The hard-clipping, op-amp-based circuit delivers all of the sounds of a cranked, saturated tube amp and features classic-inspired controls, including a UK/US Switch, to flip the personality of ODD from “British” to “American” tube amp. True to its inspiration, the ODD delivers the sound of massive, live electric guitar that attracted players like Billy Gibbons, Mark Hoppus, Eric Johnson, J Mascis, Paul Gilbert, and many more to that open tube amp sound.
- Inspired By An Iconic Pedalboard Staple Known For Cranked-Amp Tone
- Premium Components, Including A TLO82CP Op-Amp, 2N7000 Transistors, & Hand-Selected Capacitors & Resistors
- Controls: Volume, Drive, Tone, & UK/US Switch
- Through-Hole Construction
- True-Bypass Switching
- 9-Volt Battery Or External 9-18V Regulated DC Adapter (center-negative)
- Current Draw: 5.5 mA (9V) / 6.5 mA (18V)
- Custom-Folded Steel Enclosure With A Durable Powder-Coated Finish
- 1/4″ Input And Output Jacks
- Dimensions: 4.5″ x 2.5″ x 1.5″
- Weight: 0.85 lb
- Mid to High-Gain Overdrive
- Give Clean Amplifiers An Instant Dirty Channel
- User-Controllable UK (British-Voiced) & US (American-Voiced) Gain Settings
- Wide Variety Of Tone From Classic Breakup To Modern Saturation