Deceptively simple-looking, the NativeAudio Makoyii Drive hides sophistication under its three-knob layout: it’s an amp-like overdrive/distortion with adaptable compression able to deliver a variety of tones including sustained cleans, tight crunch, and wooly distortion – sometimes even bordering on fuzz.
With its circuit delivering asymmetrical clipping, it features a unique design that at once offers high-headroom amp-like tones (in particular when powered at 18v) while broadening its tonal palette.
A smart switching system allows standard on/off latching and also momentary operation when held down.
As usual with the NativeAudio pedals, the art is inspired by the native Blackfeet nation owner Mike Trombley is part of. Makoyii in the Blackfeet language means wolf, an image that here becomes the symbol of Mike’s grandfather Edwin Running Wolf, “who embodies the perseverance of the Blackfeet Nation (Amsskaapipiikuni).”
Here’s the first video of the NativeAudio Makoyii Drive.
NativeAudio Makoyii Drive, Builder’s Notes
The Makoyii is an amp-like overdrive/distortion with adaptable compression to deliver sustained cleans, tight crunch, and wooly distortion. The streamlined interface includes volume, gain, and tone controls for maximum versatility in any overdrive/distortion application. The Makoyii’s unique gain structure provides an all-in-one solution blurring the lines between compression, overdrive, distortion, and fuzz.
- Integrated compression and gain circuitry for expanded tonal capabilities.
- Unique gain structure providing compression, overdrive, distortion, and fuzz.
- Asymmetrical clipping that is tuned to provide a dynamic tube-like response.
- Intuitive interface with volume, gain, and tone controls for total customization of overdrive/distortion tones.
- 9-18VDC operation provides adjustable headroom for additional overdrive/distortion capabilities.
- Smart switching system that provides standard on/off latching and momentary operation.
- Top-mounted instrument and power jacks to save pedal board space.
- Buffered-bypass design to optimize signal integrity with any instrument cable length.
- Power: 9-18VDC, 22mA (center negative)
- Dimensions: 2.6”x4.77” (W x L)
About the Artwork:
Makoyii (mah-koy-ee) pays tribute to my grandfather, Edwin Running Wolf, who embodies the perseverance of the Blackfeet Nation (Amsskaapipiikuni). Makoyii is the Blackfeet translation meaning wolf. The running wolf is both resilient and steadfast. The resilient withstand and overcome challenges, while the steadfast know their purpose and refuse to give up. The artwork features the running wolf persevering through the unforeseen conditions of night.