Those who were mixing records in the late ’90s and early ’00s will remember the awe generated by the first amp modeling plugins, which allowed producers to record a clean guitar and apply a choice of amps (and later also effects and mic placements) at the mixing stage. Italian company IK Multimedia, together with Line 6, was at the forefront of what was at the time a budding industry destined to take over the world of music production. The IK Multimedia Amplitube Tonex pedal represents the culmination of a story that has taken those algorithms from the studio to the stage.
TONEX is the name of the latest evolution of that original DAW plugin/standalone app (Amplitube), now also doing amp, cab and preamp modeling, including through the IR loading method, and providing hundreds of effects and many other features. All this world of tones was painstakingly transferred to the Tonex Pedal, a device that also includes everything a studio or touring guitarist may want from an ultimate tone machine like this, including:
- Ultra-low noise 24-bit, 192 kHz converters
- USB Audio Interface capability
- Stereo In/Out
- Integration with the VST and Standalone app
- Full MIDI control
- Up to 150 Tone Model preset stored in the unit
- Full Studio Integration
There’s a lot more to the Amplitube Tonex that we don’t have time to cover here, check out the videos and the builder notes for more detailed information.
IK Multimedia Amplitube Tonex, Builder’s Notes
UNLIMITED TONE. FOR REAL.
AI Machine Modeled tones live on stage
• AI Machine Modeling pedal brings your TONEX Tone Models live on stage
• Perform with sounds indistinguishable from the real gear, no computer required
• Play through hundreds of amps, cabs, pedals and full rigs, including 1000 downloadable premium Tone Models and unlimited user downloads
Doubles as a high-quality USB audio interface
• Ultra-low noise 24-bit, 192 kHz converters, 5 Hz–24 kHz frequency response and 123 dB dynamic range offers incredible sound quality
• Exclusive VIR™ multi-IR cabinets and custom IR Loader, Noise gate, EQ, compressor and 5 stereo reverbs for powerful on-stage tone shaping
• Full MIDI control and expression pedal input integrate into any rig
• Includes TONEX MAX software all-in-one player, modeler and librarian and AmpliTube 5 software
Bring your Tone Models live on stage
• TONEX Pedal lets you store and play your AI Machine Modeling Tone Models live on stage. Choose from thousands of the world’s most sought-after amps, cabs, and pedals – or your own gear, modeled in minutes – then gig with them right at your feet. You’ve never experienced this level of authenticity and realism in a pedal before.
• From rare one-of-a-kind vintage amps to modern rigs, TONEX Pedal makes it affordable to own the most sought-after gear in the world.
High-end design for pristine tone
• With 24-bit, 192 kHz processing, massively wide 5 Hz–24 kHz response, and 123 dB of dynamic range, TONEX Pedal ensures your instrument’s tone is as good as you’ve ever heard it even before it hits TONEX’s incredible modeling.
A complete stage rig in one pedal
• TONEX’s groundbreaking technology lets you model everything from a single pedal to a full-pedal, amp-and-cab rig. TONEX Pedal goes even further, giving you the tools you need to shape your sound live on stage.
• AMP / RIG: load up to 150 Tone Model presets to use any time. You can load any combination of pedal, amp and whole-rig models.
• VIR CABINET: use IK’s award-winning multiple impulse response VIR™ cabinet and mic simulation to dial in the perfect cab tone for any situation.
• IR LOADER: load any custom IR you like to explore combinations of Tone Models and your own impulse responses.
• EFFECTS: TONEX Pedal includes a noise gate, parametric EQ, compressor, and 5 stereo reverbs derived from AmpliTube X-SPACE pedal.
It’s all the tone-shaping options you need in a single pedal. And you can save up to 150 presets, organized within 50 banks of 3 preset slots each, giving you endless tones from a single portable rig.
Tour-ready design and features
• Designed and crafted in Italy, TONEX Pedal features a compact chassis made from anodized aluminum that can withstand years of tour abuse.
• With full MIDI in/out, you can connect high-end FX pedals like our X-GEAR line for a complete programable pedalboard or easily add TONEX Pedal to your touring rack, and use its expression pedal input to add real-time control over any parameter.
A limitless collection of tones
TONEX is more than just a pedal, it’s an ecosystem of tone, with a full range of hardware, software and apps to transport your tones everywhere, seamlessly, from your DAW and plug-ins for studio production, to your mobile device for impromptu practicing. Access your favorite Tone Models not only from the TONEX Pedal, but also from the free TONEX software and free TONEX iOS app.
Full studio integration
TONEX Pedal tone experience goes beyond the stage. Use the included TONEX MAX software not only to model your rig, but also as a standalone or a plug-in integrated with your DAW or directly with AmpliTube 5 to enjoy the exact same tone you use live in your studio productions. And for maximum convenience, TONEX Pedal also includes a full version of AmpliTube 5 to integrate your Tone Models within the most powerful amp and effects software on the planet.
Plus TONEX Pedal also doubles as a 24 bit/44.1 kHz USB audio interface, so you don’t need any other gear to plug into your studio, choose your tone and rock out.